Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday, 26 January 1930

Madrid:  

Dictator Primo de Rivera, whose government has been under increased criticism for economic troubles that have plagued Spain recently, issues a formal note at 4 a.m. to the army, navy and civil guards, who concurred in his rise to power, asking them to declare whether they still want him to his rule. 

“As I have often said, I want to leave office when the time is propitious and a proper man of good faith is available to succeed me.  Unfortunately for me, I have not yet found that man, but I will never be willing to be forced out, and in an improper manner, by anyone against my will.”  Rivera had not announced plans to release such a note.  A group of army officials meets tonight to discuss the matter, but no decision is announced.

Germany:  

More bad economic news: a report says unemployment now tops 2 million, equaling two years ago when a severe winter drastically impeded industrial activity.

                               Unemployed queing at an employment office in Hanover in 1930.

No comments:

Post a Comment